This Butternut Squash Soup is loaded with vitamins, nutrients and tastes amazing, eating healthy couldn’t be easier!
Butternut Squash Soup is vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan. It is wonderfully thick and hearty soup which will keep you nice and warm on all those chilly nights ahead. With only a handful of ingredients and a quick prep and cooking time you can be slurping down on this soup in no time at all.
Butternut Squash Soup Benefits
Butternut squash is a great heart-friendly choice as it contains low amounts of fat and has a decent dose of dietary fiber. It’s also high Vitamin B6 which is great for the immune system and Potassium which is a great for bone health. One cup of butternut squash also provides over half your daily Vitamin C intake for the day, wow!
And the best thing about this soup is its super healthy factor. No dairy, no meat just packed full of veg and topped off with a sprinkling of toasted almonds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. Healthy living couldn’t get much easier or tastier than this.
While you’re here, why not try our delicious and hearty Chickpea , Chorizo and Kale S-toup!
- 1 medium sized butternut squash (the one I used for this recipe weighed 2lb 12oz/1.25kg)
- 1 onion
- 1 large carrot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 cups water or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- Peel the butternut squash and remove the seeds. Roughly cut into 1½“ chunks. Peel and finely chop the onion and carrot.
- In a large pot warm the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and cumin seeds and gently sauté for about 3 minutes before adding the butternut squash. Continue to sauté the vegetables for another 5 minutes.
- Add your liquid then bring to the boil, add the brown sugar and reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes or until the butternut squash is cooked.
- Using an immersion blender, regular blender or food processor, blend the soup until smooth. If you are not using an immersion blender allow the mixture to cool a little before blending. Taste the soup and season with the required amount of salt.
- To prepare the toasted nuts and seeds simply place the almonds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds in a pan and toss over a medium to high heat until toasted.