This simple tip on how to ripen avocados is great for so many recipes!
Have you ever found yourself craving guacamole only to find you have a hard, unripe avocado? Sometimes that’s all there is available at the store which can be super frustrating. Don’t worry though, with this simple guide you’ll be able to turn those hard avocados into soft, creamy and delicious avocados in just 10 minutes – EASY!!
How to Ripen Avocados: You’ll need
- A hard, unripe avocado
- A baking sheet
- Some tinfoil
The 4 easy steps
- Wrap your avocado in tinfoil and place it on a baking sheet.
- Set your oven to 200F (90C) and place the wrapped avocado in for 10 minutes.
- Check the avocado is soft then remove from the oven and place in the fridge until cooled.
- Unwrap the avocado and it should be soft, creamy and delicious!
Note: Depending on how hard the avocado is it may take more than 10 minutes to soften up. If your avocado isn’t soft after the first try just chuck it in for another 10 minutes until soft.
Why this works
Avocados and other fruits naturally produce a gas called ethylene gas which is usually released slowly over time. Ethylene gas causes the fruit to ripen and by wrapping the avocado in tinfoil and baking it you speed up the process. The fruit is surrounded in ethylene gas as it bakes causing it to ripen quickly. No more waiting to make that delicious guac or avocado on toast!!
Avocado Tips and Tricks
- How To Keep An Avocado From Browning
- How To Ripen An Avocado In A Bag