As we enter into another year I would like to share with you guys ‘my version’ of the New Year’s resolution. A version that I hope you guys might like to incorporate into your own lives or possibly even alter so that it fits into your own mind set….so here we go.
A long time ago I used to be one of those people who would set myself up with one or two huge life changing resolutions on New Years Eve. Resolutions like:
Tomorrow I will start exercising regularly or
Tomorrow I will start on my journey to lose weight or
Tomorrow I will give up smoking…yes unfortunately this used to be a reality in my life or
Tomorrow I will give up chocolate….hahaha sorry that one just makes me laugh.
And so on and so on…..
But every year I would fail on these resolutions, and pretty quickly mind you. Which would just leave me feeling down in the dumps about myself, which was truly devastating for my soul. Cause let’s face it, nobody wants to be a failure.
But now I have found a new way.
And instead of setting big unrealistic resolutions that I know I will just fail at, I set myself a whole lot of goals that I would like to achieve over the year. Some big and some small. Some short-term and some long-term.
The beauty of doing this goal setting is that you don’t have to achieve everything on the list. Just as long as you complete one or more things, then that means that you have actually achieved something. So there is absolutely no need to get down on yourself.
And the best thing is you don’t need to start on your first goal as soon as the clock hits midnight on New Years Eve, you can start on it whenever you like cause you have the whole year to achieve it.
Now how much more approachable does this system sound?
I can tell you guys now it is sooo much better. And I have found that this system puts less pressure on yourself which in returns means that your soul is happier and you will actually achieve more on your list because of that.
So now that I have shared this amazing soul satisfying system with you all, I would love to share my New Year Goals with you.
- LEARN HOW TO MAKE BREAD- 2016 was the year that my love for baking blossomed. After stumbling across SALLY’S BAKING ADDICTION baking blog I have really improved my baking skills and making bread is my one of my next challenges. I am hoping to be able to make three different types by the end of the year, if possible.
- LEARN HOW TO MAKE DONUTS- so another baking goal here. Jase bought me a donut tin for Christmas and I can’t wait to make some delicious donuts with it. And in turn come up with my own recipes to make them with.
- LEARN HOW TO MAKE BAGELS- I know a lot of baking goals here, but it is one area in my cooking knowledge that I would love to grow this year….and technically a bread I know but I love bagels!! So I think they deserve their own category.
- LEARN HOW TO MAKE PRETZELS- ok this is the last one and yes I guess technically another bread. But being half German and all that makes this one of the most important baking skills that I think I should acquire.
- LEARN A NEW SKILL- I still haven’t decided what this skill it is going to be yet but I have a few ideas that I’m thinking about. Furniture restoration, learning guitar or maybe a crafting skill…ummm. I’ll get back to you guys on that one.
- LEARN HOW TO DRIVE- ok I know right WTF!!!! But yes I don’t have a driver’s license and actually have no idea how to drive. This is one of those goals that always makes it on to my list but never gets ticked off. But with thoughts of moving to a slightly more secluded area means that this WILL have to become a reality this year. Fingers crossed anyways. P.S-This might also be my new skill.
- INCORPORATE MORE EXERCISE INTO MY LIFE- so this is one of those big goals that always goes on my list but is one that I struggle with. I have never been that sporty in my life so exercise does not come naturally to me. But once I get on a roll I’m pretty good with it until something gets in the way and then I find myself back at square one. But I must say that since being on my list of goals I have gotten further with my exercise than I ever did when it was a resolution.
- DO MORE YOGA- lately I have been trying to do a little bit of yoga a couple of times a week. This year I would like to improve my technique and regularity.
- TRY TO EAT HEALTHIER- so another one of those big goals that have improved over the years since being on my goals list. So far I have cut out fizzy drinks and almost cut out fast food in my diet. This year I hope to incorporate a lot more vegetarian and nutritionally balanced meals into my week.
- CUT DOWN ON MY DESSERT CONSUMPTION- so yes I am one of those people that has dessert every single night, I just have such a huge sweet tooth. But if I want to help with achieving my healthy eating goal then this goal needs to be achieved also. I’m thinking if I can keep it at three to four nights a week then I would be happy. And I also would like to learn more about raw desserts, cause I figure I can eat more of those, right?
- READ AT LEAST 5 BOOKS- I love reading but just don’t find the time for it. But I have a few titles that have been collecting dust that I really want to read.
- DO MORE ROAD TRIPS- I really would like to do more travel this year but since my bank balance isn’t exploding with cash I will have to stick with local travel. I hope to do a lot of summer road trips up and down the north island.
- CONTINUE LEARNING GERMAN- in 2016 I set a goal to learn German and I made a pretty good go at it. I use the app DUOLINGO which I highly recommend using if you are interested in learning a language. The owl can be a bit demanding but if you don’t let him pressure you into doing it every single day, and he will, then it is pretty enjoyable once you do it at your own pace.
- CONTINUE LEARNING ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY- this is another goal that I set for myself last year and I think it will keep reappearing year after year. I love learning new skills with my camera and hope to grow my photography skills beyond just food photography this year.
- CONTINUE GROWING MY BLOG- this year I hope to post more recipes than last year and be able to share more posts about techniques and share more knowledge with you guys.
- TAKE MORE TIME OUT FOR ME- sometimes I find life can be so hectic that I forget to just take some time out for myself, so I always add this to my list as a reminder to do so.
- GET MY VEGIE PATCH GOING- Jase and I used to have a go at growing our own vegetables and herbs at our last place, but we haven’t got around to it at our new place. But it is so much fun and totally satisfying to grow your own stuff, even if they don’t all grow properly. So even if I don’t get around to building my own vegetable patches I would really love to start growing my own herbs again.
So I know this looks like a big list, but like I mentioned earlier, the more goals you have the better. Even if I only achieve one of these goals at some point during the year I will be winning.
And what ever you don’t achieve, well they can go onto next years list.
And if you noticed I left a few empty spaces on my list, well they are for any ideas or goals that I might like to achieve that pop up randomly throughout the year.
I so hope you guys give this goal setting list a go, I think it could be life changing for you. I know it was for me.
And I would soooo love to hear about your New Years goals and how this New Years goal setting system is working for you, so don’t forget to leave a comment below.
And don’t worry, I will totally be keeping you guys updated on my achievements throughout the years.
Take care guys