This Spaghetti Bolognaise Bake is a hearty and delicious dinner using the meat-based sauce which originated in Bologna, Italy.
The other week I felt like making a pasta bake, a regular occurrence in our household. So I opened the cupboard, looked around and to my surprise I only found a bag of dried spaghetti. Now this is not my choice of pasta to make a pasta bake with, so I put my creative cap on and decided to make a twisted baked version of the classic dish spaghetti bolognaise.
So this dish is filled with your usual spaghetti bolognaise ingredients. Mince meat cooked with lots of chopped garlic, onion and carrots. Chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and stock added. Cooked down until you have just enough glossy sauce to coat the cooked spaghetti.
Absolutely delicious Spaghetti Bolognaise Bake
And then there is the twist. Well the first obvious twist is that it is going to be baked so you need to put it all into an ovenproof dish. The next twist is covering the top with a layer of my secret ingredient. My parsley speckled sour cream. This adds an amazing flavor and creamy texture to the bake. Top this with copious amounts of tasty cheese and let it bubble away until golden.
Now the first time I made this dish I put the spaghetti in whole, and it was a messy challenge when it came to serving it up. The next time I learnt my lesson and tried it by breaking it into quarters, this was an easier option.
If you’re after more dinner recipes be sure to check out one of our most popular mains Chicken, Leek & Brie Pie.
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 large carrot finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 14oz (400g) ground beef
- 1 x 14.5oz (400g) can diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ tablespoons tomato paste
- Cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- salt and pepper
- ⅓ of a 16oz (450g) packet of dried spaghetti pasta
- 5oz (140g) sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 ½ cups grated cheese
- Heat oven to 390 (200C). Cook spaghetti pasta as per instructions, refresh in cold water and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat the olive oil and cook the onions, carrot and garlic until soft. Add mince and cook until brown.
- Add tomato paste, canned tomatoes, sugar and stock. Cook over a medium heat for 10 – 15 minutes until reduced by about a third. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cooked spaghetti to meat sauce and stir. Pour mix into a 11” x 7” ovenproof dish or simular. Mix sour cream and parsley together in a bowl and spread over the top. Sprinkle grated cheese over top.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.