For dinner today, I am giving you a recipe that leans heavily on the KFC and produces a keto version of the Kentucky Fried Chicken.
This keto version contains a lot of spices and herbs which are all low carb and which makes the finished dish tasty, a bit spicy, crunchy on the outside, and moist on the inside.
To get the chicken really soaked in the various herbs and spices, you will marinate it first, then place it inside a fridge for 1 hour.
After which, you will coat it before frying.
So even if you do not use a pressure fryer, the cooling of the marinated chicken allows the flavor of the spices and herbs to come out really great.
A deep fryer is all you need after marinating the chicken.
It is as simple as placing a coated chicken inside a deep fryer and waiting for the magic to happen.
I have used chopped boneless chicken thighs for this recipe.
Feel free to use drumsticks or chicken wings to make this dish.
To make the dip, use either ketchup or sugar-free mayonnaise.
You can make your own mayonnaise at home.
That way, you are sure there are no added sugars.
Hot sauce or sour cream can equally be used to make the dip.
Coconut oil, lard, beef tallow, or any high smoke point oil can be used for deep frying.
I recommend you use a deep fryer for frying since it allows you to drain oil from the meat.
You do not want your chicken to soak in excess oil.
In the absence of a deep fryer, you can use any deep saucepan for frying.
Just ensure that the chicken is not left inside the oil to soak up oil after frying.
I think you have enough background information already.
Let’s go right ahead and make this delicious keto version of crispy fried chicken!
The Best Keto Fried Chicken
- 6 Chicken Thighs boneless
- 1 large Egg
- 1/3 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1/2 tbsp Basil
- 2 tbsp Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Mustard Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika Powder
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Red Flakes optional
- 1 tsp Tumeric optional
- 1 tsp White Pepper
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Celery Salt
- 2 cloves Garlic
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for Crispy Coating and Frying
- 2 scoop Unflavored Protein Powder for coating
- Coconut Oil for deep frying
- First, properly wash the boneless chicken thighs and dry with a paper towel. Chop the meat into small pieces.
- Place all the spices—garlic, thyme, turmeric, oregano, etc., in a mortar and grind very well. Pour the mixed spices over the chicken chunks and mix well.
- Pour in the unsweetened milk and crack in the egg. Properly stir the entire mixture to marinate the chicken thighs.
- Place the marinated chicken inside a container with a lid. Properly cover the lid and allow to sit in a fridge for 1 hour. Occasionally turn the marinated chicken chunks to make sure the chicken is well flavored.
- After an hour, get a plastic container and pour in the protein powder together with the marinated chicken. Cover the plastic container with a lid and shake well to make sure the chicken is completely coated with the protein powder.
- Pour the coconut oil in a deep fryer set to 375F and allow to heat up. Carefully place the coated chicken inside the hot oil and allow to deep fry for 5 minutes. If you are using a saucepan for frying, set the pan over high heat and allow the oil to be hot before placing the coated chicken inside. That way, the chicken does not soak in oil before the oil gets hot.
- Remove from heat when the chicken chunks become crispy and golden.
- Serve in a platter and enjoy with a keto-friendly dip.
- The macros listed below are only for the 6 servings. The oil for deep frying is not included in the macros. Remember to use unflavored protein powder to coat the chicken when preparing the keto version of the fried chicken. Alternatively, you can use almond flour or even coconut flour since they are good gluten-free breadcrumbs. Pork rind is equally good breadcrumbs to use. Feel free to use other spices too as long as they are keto-friendly.