This blueberry muffin recipe is a healthy vegetarian alternative to higher calorie muffins. It uses only 7 ingredients and they’ll keep for over half a week, healthy and yum!
To this day I have not met anybody that doesn’t like blueberries, I mean what’s not to like? Packed full with vitamins and antioxidants these little guys are not only damn tasty but they are also extremely good for you too. So with this in mind I have added them to this relatively guilt free recipe that any muffin (and of course blueberry) lover will come back to again and again.
Guilt free you say? Well I think so, with a marriage of whole-wheat flour, yogurt and not a piece of butter in sight it sounds pretty healthy to me. And if you’re not into healthy well don’t let this turn you off cause these little muffins are so full of flavor and texture you won’t even notice.
A simple and delicious blueberry muffin recipe
The best thing about this blueberry muffin recipe is that the muffins are not overly sweet, so you can pretty much get away with eating them at anytime of the day and you don’t have to feel guilty about it, (not that you would cause they are guilt free remember).
Frozen blueberries give the muffin a swirling dripping effect but fresh blueberries can be used if in season. It’s totally up to you what you want to use.
Look at that bursting with blueberries with every bite.
These muffins taste the best when eaten freshly baked but they will keep for 3-4 days when kept in an airtight container in a dry cool place. But I guarantee they will be devoured quickly, if not immediately like my own batch was.
While you’re here why not try some other healthy muffins? We have Pineapple Lime and Coconut Muffins – our readers love this one and it’s one of our most popular recipes, Whole Wheat Jam Doughnut Muffins – don’t let the name fool you these are healthy and delicious, and of course Cranberry and Apple Muffins – A healthy, christmasy themed muffin that is great anytime of the year.
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- Set your oven to 350 (180C) and spray or grease a 12-count muffin pan.
- Get yourself 2 mixing bowls, sift the whole-wheat flour, baking powder and sugar into one of them. In the other crack in and lightly beat the two eggs, then stir in the yogurt and vegetable oil.
- Add the bowl of wet ingredients to the dry , add the frozen blueberries and stir until just combined, take care not to over mix and don’t be too worried if there are a couple of traces of flour. During the baking process the mixture will continue to blend and any lumps will be gone.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the prepared muffin pan and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until they are nice and golden on top and a wooden skewer comes out clean. Cool them in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out.
I cut the sugar to 1/4 cup (my dad can’t have much sugar in his diet) and they are absolutely delishious! I love these muffins! I will be making these again for sure!
You should probably go make these.
Hi Chrissy, I’m glad they still tasted great with less sugar, they are also really good with strawberries instead of the blueberries.