This stew is so simple to make and is full of hearty flavour to get you through the cold season.
I don’t know about you but I am not a lover of cold weather. I don’t mind gorgeous winter days but I do mind temperatures that drop below the, not even mittens, scarf, beanie and thick winter jacket works kinda temperatures. But there is one thing that I love about cooler weather and that is digging out the dutch oven and cooking up a mean stew full of hearty flavours.
This stew is so easy to make and all you need is some simple everyday ingredients and you are ready to go. First you start by browning the meat in the dutch oven to seal in the juices, remove and set aside with juices. Then you cook of the onion, carrot, celery and garlic in the dutch oven until soft. Add the red wine, beef stock, tomato paste, smoked paprika and thyme. Return the meat and juices and bring to boil. The beauty about a dutch oven is the fact that it can go from stove to oven, which is what happens next. Leave it in the oven with the lid on for an hour, then put the potatoes in and leave in oven for another 40 minutes. And that is pretty much it; you are ready to grab yourself a bowl, snuggle up on the couch and dig in.
You are going to love the flavours in this dish, simple but tasty. After all that cooking time the vegetables just melt in your mouth. The potatoes are soft and creamy. And the beef is so tender and delicious. The use of smoked paprika goes wonderfully with the beef and gives the stew a mouth watering flavour. Serve up with a few slices of bread or just have it in its own.
- 600 g stewing beef cut roughly into 1 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions diced
- 3 large carrots diced
- ½ buch celery chopped
- 6 cloves garlic sliced
- 4 medium potatoes washed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 ½ cups red wine
- 3 ½ cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- salt & pepper
- Heat oven to 350 (180C). Heat half of the olive oil in a dutch oven over a medium to high heat. Brown off all the beef and then tip it, along with the juices into a bowl.
- Return the dutch oven to the heat, add the remaining olive oil and cook down the onion, carrots, celery and garlic until soft.
- Add the red wine, beef stock, tomato paste, smoked paprika and thyme. Add the beef and juices. Season and bring to the boil.
- Remove the dutch oven from the element. Place the lid on and place in the oven for 1 hour. Carefully remove from the oven, take the lid off and stir in the potatoes. Replace the lid and return to the oven for another 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Leave a Reply