Packed full of gingery goodness and swirled with noodles, this quick and easy chicken and ginger noodle soup is what dreams are made of.
Who here loves chicken noodle soup?
Me too! Me too! And I am so excited about sharing my healthy ginger and tahini infused version with you today. It is seriously all I have been eating for lunch and dinner over the last couple of weeks. Ok and maybe for breakfast too, but only a few times I promise.
This recipe was inspired after my recent trip home to Sydney. Which was such an exciting trip guys. I finally got to meet the newest member to our small family circle, Knox, my cousin’s first child. He is so super cute BTW and has made me into the biggest Facebook stalker EVER!!. I just can’t get enough of his tiny little updates.
While I was there I stayed with my Mum and we ate an array of amazing food, which you will no doubt be seeing as recreations sometime in the near future on the blog. Including her delicious energy ball bites.
One of the places that we ate at was this pokey little Vietnamese restaurant that my brother took me too. It was his favorite place to eat at when he was studying in Sydney and he still visits it ever time he comes up to see my Mum. Or in this case me.
Like I said the place was a bit pokey and run down. But I love finding places like this. Places that aren’t flashy and modern. Places that create simple yet flavor filled dishes without all the bells and whistles.
One of the dishes that we ordered was a chicken wonton noodle soup. It came out piping hot in an overly large sized bowl. Filled to the rim with a magical broth, noodles and wontons swimming within.
Joined with an array of Asian vegetables, bean sprouts and chopped chilies on the side. Once all mixed together I dug in. I was hooked from my first slurp.
Only problem was I could not stop thinking about eating more broth styled noodle soup after leaving the place. And although nothing like the chicken wonton noodle soup that we devoured, this dish was the version that I created to satisfy my cravings.
Full of healthy ingredients and naturally dairy free. A punchy ginger infused broth, drowning an assortment of winter veg, swirled with long stringy noodles and poaching chunks of free-range chicken while it cooks.
This soup is truly everything you want a soup to be. Totally stress free. Requires only one pot to cook it all in. And takes only minutes to prepare. So pull your largest pot out and lets start cooking.
To prepare the soup all you need to do is make the broth by adding the chopped ginger, garlic and the sauces to the stock. I have used soy sauce for saltiness and sweet chili for a touch of heat. My secret weapon for this broth is definitely the use of tahini paste. It adds a great flavor and gives the broth creaminess.
Once the broth is bubbling away chuck in the chicken pieces, let them cook for a few minutes then throw in the vegetables and noodles. And that is pretty much it.
Too easy right?
All you need to do now is grab yourself a bowl, fill that baby up, get all cozy and dig in
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons ginger finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- ½ a leek sliced into thin batons
- 1 large carrot sliced into batons
- 7 oz 200g free-range chicken breasts cut into thin strips
- 6.5 oz 185g dried thick Chinese noodles or similar
- 1 head broccoli cut into small florets
- Take a large pot and pour in the chicken stock and water. Add the tahini paste, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, ginger and garlic. Cover and bring to the boil.
- Remove the lid and reduce the pot to a medium-high heat. Add the free-range chicken strips and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the leek, carrot and dried noodles and continue to cook for another 5 minutes whilst gently stirring to break up the noodles.
- Add the broccoli florets and continue to cook for another 3 minutes whilst gently stirring.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow to stand for a few minutes before serving.