I love these muffins. They are packed full of zesty orange flavors with a cheeky cream cheese center.
If you love fresh citrus flavors, especially when they have been added to some sort of baked goody, then this recipe is for you. Plus they are not overly sweet making them a great breakfast muffin.
Whole oranges, peel and all are blitzed up in this recipe to give a full on orange flavor without the need of artificial flavors or colouring. Now you may think that by blitzing up a whole juicy orange would leave this muffin wet and sticky, but instead it gives a great thick crumb. In every mouthful you experience the slight bitter flavor and grainy texture that the orange peel provides. This gives the muffin a unique texture sensation that other muffins can’t compete with.
The glorious cream cheese center is the star of this muffin. This creamy center kind of works as a built in buttering machine, except tastier. Just rip one in half and spread the insides over the muffin. Delicious.
These muffins will last for 2-3 days when kept in an airtight container in a dry cool place.
Orange and Cream Cheese Muffins
- 1 large orange washed and chopped
- 3 ½ oz 100g butter chopped
- 1 free-range egg
- 1/3 cup superfine/ caster sugar
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 teaspoons cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
You will need a food processor to make these muffins
- Heat oven to 350 (180C) and grease or spray a 12-count muffin pan.
- Place the orange, butter, sugar and egg into the bowl of your food processor and mix for 2-3 minutes.
- Sift in thee flour, baking powder and baking soda then pulse 2 or 3 times until just combined.
- Spoon half the mix into the muffin pans, put a teaspoon of cream cheese in each muffin pan, then cover with the remaining muffin mix and sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before turning out.