Full of crunch and spice, this slice is for all you ginger lovers out there.
Known as Ginger Crunch in NZ, this slice is a regular feature at most Kiwi gatherings. I have jazzed up my version of this iconic slice by adding a sprinkling of crystallized ginger and pistachios on top. I hope you love it just as much as I do.
This slice is jam packed with ginger. There is ground ginger in the base and in the frosting and there are little sugar coated gems of crystallized ginger in the topping. It is what I would call a gingerlicous slice.
I still cannot decide what my favorite part of this slice is. The crumbly mixture that the slice starts out as, that once baked transforms into a brittle crunchy texture. Is it the rich silky frosting that melts in your mouth? Or is it the warming ginger flavor itself? I just can’t choose it’s too hard.
Golden syrup is used in this recipe and is a common staple in most NZ, UK and Australian pantries. After a bit of research I have noticed that it is not as readily available in the USA but can be found in specialty stores. But I would say it is worth getting as it has a great flavor and makes this dish what it is. I promise if you get it you will use it. Otherwise light corn syrup would be a good alternative.
This slice will last for up to a week when kept in an airtight container in a dry cool place.
- 5 ¼ oz 150g butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- ¼ cup crystallized ginger
- ¼ cup pistachios
- 5 ¼ oz 150g butter
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup or light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar
- Heat oven to 350 (180C) and line a 11” x 7” rectangular baking pan with parchment paper.
- Take a small saucepan and melt the butter and sugar together over a low heat.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and sift in the flour, baking powder and ground ginger. Stir the mixture until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into your prepared pan then press down and spread the mixture evenly taking care to get it in to all the edges of the tin.
- Bake for around 15 minutes or until the slice is golden brown. Remove the baking pan from the oven and set aside. You want to make the frosting at this stage, so you can ice the slice while it’s still warm.
- For the frosting take a small saucepan and melt the butter and golden syrup/ corn syrup over a low heat. Whisk in the ground ginger and icing sugar, until the frosting is smooth and thick.
- Pour the frosting into the center of the slice then lean the pan bake and forward, from side to side until the frosting has covered the slice (take care and hold the pan with a dish cloth if it’s still hot!).
- Slice the crystallized ginger, and sprinkle over the frosting along with the pistachio nuts. Allow to cool before slicing.
Leave a Reply