This is a good option for a gluten free dish. Quick and easy this crustless quiche is a great on the run breakfast option. This week one of the posts that I shared with you was how to whip up a batch of my morish caramelized onions. If you missed this post you can check it out in HOW TO: CARAMELISED ONIONS.
As mentioned in the post these caramelized onions can be used in all kinds of delish ways. Trust me I have tried these glossy squiggles in pretty much everything imaginable. But today I’m going to give you a recipe that will jazz up your breakfast life forever.
Mushrooms have got to be one of my favorite breakfast veg. Sautéed to a tasty package, bursting with mouth dripping juices in every bite. I’m seriously drooling just thinking about them. I love those little fungi growths.
I can’t think of a better way to eat these juicy morsels than to mix them with my drool worthy caramelized onions. And then bake them in the oven In a creamy, cheesy egg bake, till golden brown. How good does this sound?
This crustless quiche can be eaten hot or cold. It is also a great dish to have for lunch or dinner when served with side dishes. I personally love to grab a piece, smother it in chutney and run out the door. It will keep for 3 days in an airtight container and kept in the fridge.
- 400 g button mushrooms cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup and CARAMELISED ONIONS
- 8 free range eggs
- ¾ cup cream
- 1 cup grated cheese
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 180C and line a 11” x 7” glass baking dish or similar with parchment paper.
- In a medium to large saucepan heat the olive oil and sauté the button mushrooms until tender.
- Spread the mushrooms and caramelized onions over the baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the eggs and cream. Add the cheese and the chopped parsley. Season and sir.
- Pour this mix over the mushrooms and onions in the baking tray and put in oven for 18 minutes. You can allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving hot, or allow to come to room temperature and slice up into nice little squares.