These cookies are known as Afghans in New Zealand and are somewhat of a Kiwi icon. No matter which town you travel to you are no doubt going to come across them in the local café’s or bakeries. Nobody knows where they originated from or why they are called Afghans, all I can tell you is that these simple little cookies are tasty little morsels.
The three best things about these cookies are the chocolate icing, the cornflakes and the walnut. The first thing your teeth dig into is the soft chocolate icing that leads you to the top of the cookie itself. The next part requires a bit more force as you bite through the chocolate cookie that is scattered with crunchy cornflakes. The best bit though is when you make it to the middle and meet the lone walnut, it just adds that extra flavor sensation that would not be appreciated if the whole top was coated in them.
These cookies will last for a week when kept in an airtight container in a dry cool place.
- 6 oz 170g butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ cups plain flour
- 2 cups cornflakes
- 3 ½ oz 100g butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 12 walnut half’s or equivalent in walnut pieces
- Heat your oven to 350 (180C) and line a cookie tray with parchment paper.
- Take a medium sized saucepan and add the butter, sugar and cocoa powder. Place on a low heat until the butter melts.
- Mix in the flour and cornflakes.
- Spoon the mixture into 12 even balls pressing together with your hands and pat them down on the cookie tray. Bake for around 18 minutes until set. Let sit on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- To prepare the chocolate frosting take a small saucepan and melt the butter over a low heat, stir in the cocoa powder and icing sugar and mix together with a small whisk, then beat in enough of the hot water until the desired consistency is obtained. When the cookies are cold top with chocolate frosting and a walnut half.
A Secret 'Carb Trick' That Burns Up To 1 Pound Per Day
If you’re like most women trying to lose weight… you diet, you count calories, you tear up the treadmill, and… nothing.
That’s how 40-year-old Sarah Donovan, an overweight mother with prediabetes was feeling…
She did "everything right" and never lost an inch.
Until she stumbled on this strange "carb-pairing" trick and burned away an unheard of 22lbs pounds in just 13 days.
And because of this one simple shift in her eating, she shed pounds and inches from her body without starving herself and without a lick of exercise!
With the same "carb-pairing" trick Sarah dropped a total of 37lbs in the FIRST month and she shocked her doctor by completely reversing ALL pre-diabetes symptoms!
If you’re a woman over the age of 25 who wants to reclaim her life inside the body she DESERVES, you should check it out for yourself.