Exploding with toasted nuts and dried fruit, this has got to be one of the most decadent and indulgent granolas out there.
If you have a sweet tooth like myself then you are going to love, love, love this granola. Mounds of oats, peanuts, walnuts and almonds are all thrown together then coated with lashings of maple syrup and brown sugar. These two give the granola its sweetness and its sensational flavour. Once the granola is toasted to perfection in go the dried apricots and gorgeous dried golden raisins. And you’re done. Too easy right?
This granola can be eaten at any time of the day with milk or yogurt or of course both. It is also amazing over ice cream. If you are looking for a healthy breakfast granola then this is not the recipe for you but I do highly recommend trying it, you will not be sorry you did.
This granola will keep for up to a month when kept in an airtight container in a cool dry place.
- 4 cups oats
- 1 cups walnut roughly chopped
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 cup almonds roughly chopped
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried apricots sliced
- 1 cup golden raisins or sultanas
- Heat oven to 260 (125 C) and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the oats and nuts
- In a small saucepan gentle heat the canola oil, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt whilst stirring gently to combine the mixture. Remove the saucepan from the heat when it just comes to the simmer, give the mixture a good stir.
- Pour the wet mixture into the oat and nut mixture and give it a really good mix with both your hands for a couple of minutes or so, until the oats and nuts are well covered with the wet mixture.
- Spread the mix evenly over the baking tray and place in oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and using a kitchen spoon give it a good stir to ensure some of the untoasted parts from the bottom of the tray are brought up to the surface. Return to the oven and repeat this process 3 more times, for a total cooking time of 40 minutes. You want all the granola to be nicely toasted.
- Remove from the oven and allow the granola mix cool completely, then add the dried apricots and raisins or sultanas. Give the granola a good mix, you may need to break it up a little with your hands if there are a few clumps. Transfer mixture to an airtight container for storage.