This fresh and flavourful cilantro pesto recipe is quick and easy to prepare and will make a great addition to your homemade pesto collection.
I have gone a bit pesto mad at the moment… but I just cant help myself, there are just sooo many gorgeous fresh herbs around that I just want to make the most of them all before they disappear and all I am left with is parsley. Not that there is anything wrong with parsley, in fact I love parsley but you know… options are always better. So today I am sharing with you my new favourite, my unbelievably tasty cilantro pesto.
This pesto is so quick to make, less than 10 minutes to be exact. Easy to whip up, your food processor does pretty much all the hard work for you. The only thing you gotta do is toast the walnuts, wash the cilantro and grate the parmesan. And that’s about it. I mean how easy is that?
Now you may think cilantro is a way overpowering flavour. But you will be surprised how mellowed down the flavour is when combined with all those other yummy pesto ingredients. And if you are thinking about what to put it on well the answer is anything really… pasta dishes, grilled meats, salads LIKE THIS ONE…the options are endless.
This pesto will last for up to three weeks when kept in an airtight container when kept in the fridge.
- 5 cups cilantro leaves picked washed and patted dry
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- 5 cloves garlic
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt & pepper
- Place cilantro leaves, walnuts and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Process for around 20 seconds.
- Continue to process whilst slowly pouring in the olive oil.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula and process for a few more seconds, repeat if necessary until the cilantro has been blended up.
- Add the parmesan and lemon juice and process for 20 seconds.
- Season with salt and pepper and pulse, adjust until the seasoning is correct.