Although it may take a while to cook in the oven, this super simple beef and cannelloni bean soup really is super simple. It really delivers in the flavor department, making it a great dish to have in your arsenal for those colder winter days.
All that’s required of you in terms of real work is to peel and chop a little vege and slice some beef. It’s not that diffuicult a chore for the delightful outcome that is this yummy soup.
I love dishes like this soup, which are slow cooked. It’s really satisfying to put them on then go and continue on with another task. Maybe a little work or just some chill out time, knowing that in the background a tasty meal is cooking away. Supposedly we are almost a month into spring here in New Zealand, although looking outside you may be mistaken into thinking its still winter. Sure it is a little warmer, by a degree or two maybe? And we’ve had a couple of really nice days this month. But if you look outside at the moment, there is no blue sky and its wet and windy. It seems to be like that though down here. We get a late start to spring and summer, but hopefully that means the summer will continue a little longer into autumn. Anyway, that’s yet to be seen and I’m making the most of this late winter run, cooking wise, by banging out a few more soups and stews.
This healthy super simple beef and cannellini bean soup is both dairy free and gluten free.
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 x 14oz 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 4 sticks of celery small dice
- 2 large carrots small dice
- 1 brown onion small dice
- 4 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 2.5 lbs 1.1kg rump streak/ top round steak sliced thinly
- salt & pepper
- 1 x 15oz 425g can of cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 handful chopped parsley
- Heat oven to 350 (180C). Place the Dutch oven on the stovetop on a high heat. Add the beef stock, water, wine, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, celery, carrot, onion, garlic and rump steak. Season and stir well. Cover and bring to the boil before transferring to the oven. Cook for 1 hour 45 minutes or until the beef has become tender and can easily be cut with a spoon.
- Remove from oven and stir the cannellini beans and chopped parsley. Check the seasoning. Allow to stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.