With the warmth of ginger and a zing from the lemon this chicken, ginger, lemon and quinoa soups has become one of my favourites on those colder days.
Think of your classic chicken type broth based soup crossed with the goodness of a lemon and ginger tea. That’s what this soup is all about; punchy, soothing comforting flavors. And I’d have to say that this must be one of the easiest chicken soups to make. As long as you have the ingredients on hand, it takes no time at all to whip up. Who’s not looking for a quick and simple way to prepare a delicious and nutritious meal, especially when those days are getting shorter? I know I always am.
In this soup the addition of quinoa in the place of the classic noodle really puts a nice and healthy spin on the dish. Who out there doesn’t love a chicken noodle soup? If you do be sure to check out Kylie’s Chicken and Ginger Noodle Soup. I’m sure your gonna love the quinoa in this soup just as much as you love noodles, and it really pumps up the nutritional value of the soup adding more protein and vitamins. It also is a great gluten free alternative to your classic noodle. Check out this page on Quinoa nutrition and how to cook quinoa.
I’ve found that this soup freezes really well. One of my favourite tips with making soups is to prepare a large quantity. I’ll usually try a soup out in a smaller batch, but with soups that I know have worked before I’ll make as much as I can fit in my largest pot. Then I’ll freeze them down in smaller containers each with one or two portions that can be pulled out of the freezer as required.
I’m a big fan of this chicken, ginger, lemon and quinoa soup just as it is. But if you feel that you want to give it an extra kick add a little Tabasco or your favourite hot sauce to really spice things up and give this soup an extra dimension.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek, pale end peeled and sliced thinly into half moons
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely diced
- 1 free-range chicken breast, cut into half lengthways & thinly sliced widthways
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- ½ cup quinoa cooked (see the best way to cook quinoa)
- Heat the olive oil in a pot or saucepan over a medium heat. Add the leek and ginger and cook whilst stirring until soft. Add the chicken and continue to cook for about a minute whilst continuing to stir.
- Add the chicken stock and water. Increase the heat to high and bring to the boil uncovered. Stir in the lemon juice, zest and cooked quinoa. Reduce to a simmer for a couple of minutes before removing from the heat. Ladle into bowls to serve.