Packed with warm flavors and a good hit of coconut you’ll really love this spicy chicken, tomato and coconut soup.
When Kylie and I had the café soup was always popular over the colder months, we would sell a lot. Quick to serve and reasonably priced, soup was always one of the most popular lunch dishes. What better to warm you up on a cold day, than a nice piping hot bowl of soup with some nice toasty bread and butter? It’s a reasonably priced dish and doesn’t take long to serve up, even if you are busy. So it was a go-to dish for lots of our customers. We had many soups that were favourites and one of the best sellers was our spicy chicken and tomato soup. With a slight kick from chilli it was nicely balanced with tomato and a little brown sugar. A real comfort dish, and a great one to eat whilst indoors and looking out at rain (this is Auckland after all!).
We would always finish this soup with a little cream. For the soup I’m sharing with you today I’ve added coconut cream in place of regular cream and I think it really gives the soup an extra dimension. With some freshly chopped cilantro (coriander) leaves I’m certain that you’re really going to love this soup!
This soup is thickened with the diced tomato. I like to blitz the tomatoes with a stick mixer or in a food processor. I prefer the texture that way but it’s not essential. You can just add the diced canned tomatoes straight in; you’ll just have a chunkier consistency to the soup.
This super healthy spicy chicken, tomato and coconut soup is both dairy free and gluten free. For a vegetarian version of this soup you can leave out the free-range chicken and substitute the chicken stock for vegetable stock. You will still have a lovely spicy, smoked paprika, tomato and coconut flavor that will really brighten your day.
So go ahead and try this spicy chicken, tomato and coconut soup. Let us know how you get on in the comments section; we love to hear from you. For more soupy goodness check out some of our other recipes like this BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP W/ TOASTED NUTS AND SEEDS or this CHICKEN AND GINGER NOODLE SOUP.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots finely diced
- 4 shallots finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 free-range chicken breasts sliced into half’s lengthways then thinly sliced widthways
- 3 teaspoons crushed chilli
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 x 14.5oz 410g tins diced tomatoes that have been blitzed with a stick mixer or in a food processor.
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- salt & pepper
- 2/3 cup coconut cream
- 1 handful cilantro coriander leaves picked, washed and chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a medium to large sized saucepan or pot over a medium to high heat. Sauté the carrot, shallots and garlic until soft.
- Add the sliced free-range chicken and chilli. Continue to sauté for a couple of minutes then deglaze with the white wine.
- Now add the tomatoes, chicken stock, brown sugar and smoked paprika. Season and bring to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the stovetop and stir in the coconut cream and chopped cilantro (coriander) leaves.