These one bowl wonders are simple to make and are packed with raisins, cornflakes and fresh lemon flavor.
It’s coming to the end of the winter season down here in NZ, which means that it has been cold, glum and rainy for weeks now. But today a streak of sunshine came through my window, warmed my back and made me want to bake something that feels like spring. So here it is my Tangy Lemon Slice.
This recipe is so easy to make and best of all you only need to use one saucepan, a wooden spoon and your hands. No mixer required and minimal dirty dishes.
Now I know what you’re thinking, it doesn’t look like much of a slice, I know right, but it is. I just thought I would go outside the box and do something different by baking them in my muffin tray and I’m so glad I did cause they look super cute. Kind of like a crunchy little cupcake. Yum!!
The base on this is truly amazing. It will remind you of a thick soft muesli bar, packed full of goodies. The crushed cornflakes and coconut give a great crunch to the slice while the raisins add a burst of fruity flavor.
But the slice is not complete without its frosting. With its thick consistency this sweet and tangy lemon frosting will tantalize your tastebuds making you want to spread more and more on. And if it’s not tangy enough for you just add more lemon juice to the mix.
This slice will keep for up to a week when kept in an airtight container in a dry cool place.
Tangy Lemon Slice
- 7 oz 200g butter
- ¼ cup golden syrup can sub light corn syrup
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 cup coconut flakes/ desiccated coconut
- 1 ¼ cups crushed cornflakes
- 3 ½ oz 100g butter
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 ½ - 2 cups icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 (180C). Take a medium sized saucepan and melt the butter and golden syrup (or corn syrup) over a low heat, whilst stirring together gently. Once the butter has melted, stir in the raisins and remove from the heat.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder then add the sugar, coconut and cornflakes. Give everything a good mix until it is well combined.
- Grease or spray a 12-count muffin pan and equally distribute the mixture into each pan pressing down slightly to even out the mixture.
- Place in the oven for 15 - 18 minutes, until the tops of the slice are golden brown. When done remove from the oven and allow to cool in pan completely.
- Once they have cooled gently remove the slices from the muffin pan by loosening and slightly twisting with a small spatula or paring knife.
- To prepare the lemon frosting gently melt the butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in 1 ½ cups of the icing sugar, lemon zest and juice. Add more of the icing sugar if required until the frosting is thick, smooth and spreadable. If it gets a little too thick add a tablespoon of hot water at a time until you reach the desired consistency. Ice each slice and top with rasins.