The popular Japanese dish, sushi, is on the menu for today’s lunch.
But it is not the regular vinegared rice sushi.
It is the keto version of it.
To make it into a keto-friendly dish, you will have to prepare it with vinegar combined with riced cauliflower and cream cheese.
Then fresh salmon, egg, avocado, and cucumber will be used for the filling.
To make the sauce, you will need lemon juice, ginger, and coconut aminos.
For those who do not follow a very strict keto, you can also use soy in place of coconut aminos.
The process appears a bit complex, but in reality, it is simple.
Let’s get to it.
Ingredients for the sushi filling
- 4.2 oz Salmon fresh or smoked
- 3.5 oz Cucumber
- 3.5 oz Avocado
- 2 Eggs
Ingredients for the sushi 'rice'
- 5.3 oz Cream Cheese softened
- 3 cups Shredded Cauliflower 'Rice'
- 2 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Erythritol optional
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 sheets Nori
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Ginger grated
Vinegared Sushi 'Rice' Directions
- Get the cauliflower rice ready by first washing it and then cutting it into small pieces.
- Now process the cauliflower using a food processor to get rice-like pieces. If you do not have a food processor, a knife can also be used.
- Pour the riced cauliflower into a container. Cover the container and place in a microwave. Allow it to sit for 3 minutes inside the microwave before removing. Allow it to cool for a few minutes. Alternatively, you can use a frying pan or a pot to cook or steam the cauliflower.
- Pour the cauliflower rice into a bowl and add cream cheese, salt, sweetener, and rice vinegar. Use a wooden spoon to mix thoroughly until smooth dough is obtained.
Sushi Fillings Directions
- Slice the cucumber and avocado after carefully peeling off their skins. Cut the salmon into thin slices like the cucumber and avocado.
- Crack and scramble the egg. Add salt to it and fry in a frying pan. Cut the fried egg into thin strips too.
- You can use the black sesame seed for decorating the sushi rolls.
- Get your sushi roller ready with transparent plastic. To prevent the mixture from sticking to the sushi roller, make sure both sides have transparent plastic.
- On a flat surface, place the roller and put a nori sheet on top of it.
- Share the rice mixture into two parts and spread them on the nori sheets. Make sure the rice mixture is spread uniformly on both sheets.
- Now carefully place the thin slices of cucumber, salmon, avocado, and egg on the edge of one of the nori sheets in such a way that the sushi roller can roll freely.
- Roll the filled side of the sheet carefully to the other edge of the nori sheet. Make sure that the mixture does not spill off the nori sheet. Now carefully repeat the same thing for the other nori sheet using the other part of the rice mixture.
- Slice the sushi rolls into small sizes. If you wish to refrigerate, then place the rolls in a fridge for 30 minutes before slicing the rolls.
Sushi Dip Directions (Optional)
- If you need a dip, mix the ingredients for the dip. First, pour the lemon juice into a pot and add the coconut aminos. Also, add in the grated ginger and place on heat. Allow it to boil. When the color of the sauce becomes dark, remove from heat.
- Pour into a dish and serve alongside the sushi rolls.
- Enjoy your delicious keto version of sushi rolls.